TEACHING RE IN SCHOOL
At Bird’s Bush Primary School, the role of Religious Education is to help prepare and equip all pupils for life and citizenship in today’s diverse society, through fostering in each pupil an increasing level of religious literacy.
By following the Staffordshire Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education, our children become religiously literate by establishing and growing knowledge and understanding of beliefs, practices, spiritual insights and secular world views.
The aims of our curriculum are to develop:
- An increasing core of insightful knowledge concerning religions and beliefs, both in Britain and in more global terms;
- A developing capacity to engage with ultimate questions and to formulate their own sense of identity and values;
- A growing range of the social, spiritual and emotional skills and dispositions appropriate to living well in a religiously plural and open society;
The three curriculum aims are supported by six broad dimensions:
- Beliefs, teachings and sources
- Practices and ways of life
- Expressing meaning
- Identity, diversity and belonging
- Meaning, purpose and truth
- Values and commitments